Local students taking their understanding of community to a whole new level… 2,200m above sea level!
Each year St Marys Rugby League Club give two young local students the opportunity of a lifetime… to participate in the Kokoda Youth Leadership Challenge, trekking through mud and rain, across mountain ranges up to 2,200m above sea level with a 20kg pack strapped to their back.
Over the last 6 years, Saints has sponsored 12 young adults to walk in the footsteps of our brave soldiers and take on the Kokoda Trek. The ultimate aim is to prepare these young students to return from the trek and share their experiences with their peers, the broader community and the next generation.
The Kokoda Youth Leadership Challenge is designed to give participants:
- An appreciation of our military history
- A respect for the sacrifice made by young Australians of a previous generation
- An appreciation of a culture whose values are not based on materialism
- An appreciation of the qualities necessary for teamwork
- An appreciation of the characteristics of leadership and
- An understanding of the purpose and value of community service